Monday, October 23, 2006

Pubfest

Yes, ladies and otherwise, last weekend was the annual Cessnock Pubfest. Wow. Bleary. Messy. Embarrassing. Above all, awesome. Really, really kickass. Pubfest is a funny thing really. I mean, why is it any different to any day at the pub? The beers are only $3.30 (I swear they used to be $2.50), which isn't really THAT cheap. The music is never THAT good. So the only thing that sets it apart from a normal day at the pub is the buses between the pubs. And guess what, there seems to only be two good pubs on the run anyway. So, why is pubfest so special? Because it's an excuse to get well pissed during the day. And that we did. Well and truly. There were parts of the day that I just don't remember (after having been told of them), so that's a good sign. And also as a positive, it looks as if I didn't do anything I regret (despite being blind) either. Tops!
But let's get down to the details (as this blog also serves the purpose of chronicling all my activities, I add the details for posterity, it's not as if you people don't know most of it already). I digress.
Sad to say that both Boggle and Ross were in positions where they couldn't make it up, so the group this year consisted of Jon, Brendan, Leanne and Mike S. As per usual, Alex and Ally came up too, but this year saw the addition of my younger brother, Pete. It was awesome to go out drinking with him (I don't think I had before; and certainly not to the level of binge that is the Pubfest). He was a fucken cack (i.e. a rather amusing fellow), and all my friends agreed. Man, we got some funny fucking photos. Digital SLRs rule. At one point I was running around saying that I was from the press and just taking photos of everyone in the pub. Hehe. Except one guy, about 5 minutes after I took a photo of someone at his table (or of him... I don't really know) came up to me and threatened me telling me that I better not put that picture on the internet. What the fuck? Does he realise now stupid that is? Does he think that the internet consists of 2 or 3 pages of pictures that people just look at? Would he think that his workmates would find it and laugh at him come Monday? Does he think it diminishes his chance of becoming a lawyer? As if at the job interview they quickly pop onto the net and look at those 3 pages of pictures to see if there's any of him drinking? I don't know what his fucken problem was. So I just said to him "what's the internet" and left when I could. I really fucken wish I knew what he looked like so that I could put his picture up, label him a dork, and even start up a myspace page for him. Fucken dag.
But, I was in such good spirits (or should that be beer-its?) that that didn't even begin to tarnish my mood. All in all it was awesome.
We started at Bellbird (which is one of the two good pubs on the route) at about 2pm, had a few beers (and some lamb and gravy rolls) and caught the bus to Wenty's on Vincent (the other good pub on the route) and had more beer and a game of pool. Pete convinced me to have a go on a pokie with him, and we put in $2 between us, and won $12! So I blew that on a bundy draught each. Pete and I spent most of the time out in the smoking bit just talking shit with Ally. We were collected by everyone else when the bus was about to arrive, but Mike, Pete and I managed to squeeze in 2 more shots (we grabbed a tequila, and the barkeep recommended a pancake, which is a frangelico shot with sugar and lemon). Was pretty good man. Not very manly, but good. We were about to get a more manly shot when someone came and grabbed us. Probably for the best.
Ok, Just got into work, so more later...

Listening to: Strapping Young Lad - The New Black (album)
--
This message was sent from my mobile.

No comments: