Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Forgot my book

I've been meaning to bring a book with me to help with the commuting, and I consistently forget. Dammit.
So it's been a while since I've posted, yeah? No real reason. I spent the weekend up at the Hunter (no PC or phone reception there). Sunday night was the Fat Freddy's Drop concert (which I'll come to in a moment). Monday night was spent at West Ryde (no 'net), and I plumb forgot last night.
So, depending on how bored I feel, and if I can really be bothered, I may or may not fill you in on the details.
Give me a moment to decide.
...
Consider yourselves lucky.
So I headed up to the Hunter with Pete on Friday night (Mum was already up there). I haven't been up there for a while, so it was good to see it again. It looks really good. Mum has had some gardners in and they've done a whole heap of work - including grading the driveway. Those of you heading up this weekend for Pubfest will be able to see it. Looks tops. Who is coming up anyway? I'll make some calls tonight.
Saturday actually involved the family going down to Sydney to see Alex's baseball game. The plan was that he and Ally would come up afterward. But Alex decided that he wanted to go to the after game party instead. And seeing that it wasn't Mum's birthday until Monday, Mum said it would be fine. So Mum, Peter and I headed back up and went straight to dinner at the Swill and Grill in Cessnock. Bit of a waste of a day really, considering I had to start heading down to Sydney by about Midday the next day. So, not the most eventful of weekends.
But, Sunday was the Fat Freddy's Drop concert. The original plan was to get some weed before hand, but the rainy weather dampened our enthusiasm (so to speak...). So we (Ross, Jon and I) just went for the usual steak dinner at the Coopers hotel (whose actual name I forget), and had a few beers, and then headed over to the Entertainment Quarter for a few more drinks until the doors to The Forum opened. I'd never been to a concert at The Forum before. I really like it (probably even more than The Metro/Century). The layout is fucking great, and it's still small enough to be intimate (as intimate as a 2000 capacity venue could be). Check it out if you can.
Wow, this post is getting big. The phone is slowing as I type now.
So there were 2 opening bands. One was just two (very attractive) girls on mics MCing to a DJ playing dub reggae. They were good though. But then the next group came on; The Resurrectors. A 9 piece Aussie reggae group (but with members from all over the world), complete with a wheelchair-bound guitarist (and the first fat solo I've heard in a reggae band). Holy shit they went off. So much so that I bought their CD. They were so energetic!
And, despite their energy and enthusiasm, Fat Freddy's Drop didn't disappoint. They were fucken awesome. Over 2 hours of awesome in fact! A really great show. The trombone player was a fucking legend. He was grooving the whole time. Actually grooving is too litte a word. He was FUNKING THE FUCK OUT the whole time. Legend. A really, really good show. We were all struttin our funk (Jon included), along with the entire audience. Fucking kickass. As an example of how awesome it was, I didn't find myself getting restless at all. Usually at concerts by about an hour into the main show, my mind starts wandering, and I can't concentrate on the show too much. I usually start to wish that it would end. Not with Freddy. Was groovin the whole time and lovin it. And the encore when they played Wandering Eye was the appropriate climax that all shows should have (but so often don't). Amazing. I didn't get home until 2am though, and had to work the next day. Crappo. Red Bull is my friend.
Did I tell you about Big Day Out tickets? About how I had to stay up to get them? About how I was worried that something went wrong? Well, it did. I don't have any Big Day Out tickets. And they're now sold out. The only way to get tickets is to put your name down on a ballot form, and they'll randomly draw 500-1000 names per week, and they'll be the lucky ones that are allowed to buy no more than 2 of the last 10,000 tickets. At an inflated price I might add. This whole situation has me so pissed off that I don't really want to type about it. If you ask me about it, I can give you a detailed (and probably offensive) account of it all.
Ben (from work) will probably stay over on Thursday night, as he's heading north on Friday, and wants to leave from the Northside so that he can avoid the city.
I'm also getting paid this week, but not too much, as I only worked 68 hours this fortnight (compared to the usual 80). Lame.
Would you look at that; it's time to change trains.
Later!

Listening to: Megadeth - Sweating Bullets
--
This message was sent from my mobile.

No comments: