Thursday, June 28, 2007

My "Job"

Ok, so I have a job.
Some of you will not know this. Some of you will not care. I myself do not care that I have a job.
It is a crappy job.
I make ads. Very silly ads.
I use very old programs that are only one step above Microsoft Paint.
I do not appreciate a five-week training module that pays me less per hour and in which I do nothing except purchase food and wonder if anyone would notice if I masturbated at my desk.
I have two trainers, one of whom uses the word 'dubious' a dubious amount of times per day.
In the four weeks I have been here, we have done a solid 10 hours of actual work. This would be ok if the rest of our time was spent larking, but it's not. I have to pretend to pay attention for 8 hours a day, to information that is handled poorly, repeated too often, and given out too slowly.
I am boredom personified.

I was hired as one of a group of ten new recruits, some of us to work day shift and some of us to work night. I opted to work day shift, but upon starting my training (which is during the day) I found out that all ten of us were actually hired to work night shift. Five nights a week. For only $1 more an hour. Bugger that!

If I were to work night shift, not only would I would waste all day sleeping, but I would never see Simon or indeed anyone at all beyond my work friends. As Simon would not want to stay living at my house when I won't ever be there, he would move out... to Newport I suppose, which would make seeing him even more difficult. (Also, it wouldn't be entirely wise to move out together as my job is not stable enough for the long term). This is not what we want.

Yesterday I went to see Steve, who organises the shifts. I asked him if I could work days as the recruitment agency had told me (and everyone) that days would be available. I was denied, and he tried to tell me that "sometimes people get flustered or nervous during interviews and they don't quite listen properly... and they get the wrong impression about the times they work." What a cockmonkeyed thing to say. I told him that everybody had been not only given that impression, but told outright that day shifts were available. But still he fobbed me off with the excuse that there are no desk spaces free during the day (despite the fact that 5 minutes prior to this discussion we had attended a farewell afternoon tea for two day shift workers).

So my plan is thus: Next monday (I finish my training on Tuesday) I am going to go talk to Steve again and tell him that I will be quitting if I cannot have day shifts. I don't quite expect him to capitulate, but I may as well try. I am also going to give him a printed copy of the seek advertisement that recruited us, to confirm to him that all ten of us were not simply "nervous" during our interviews. We were misled by the recruitment company (to what real purpose? I assume it was a mistake on the part of the recruitment agency rather than the company as at makes no sense to knowingly hire people who can't work night shift as you're then paying for training for no reason. On the other hand, the recruitment agency could have made the mistake on purpose, as they THEN get to hire MORE REPLACEMENT workers, and thus make more commission...) and I am going to tell Steve as such.

So yes. This is my "job".


On the brighter side, Simon is taking me out tonight for my birthday (which was a couple of days ago). Yay! I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: