Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Desktop Background + flickr problems

Call me a nerd (not like you don't already), but I really like my desktop background at work. It spans across my two monitors, and looks as hot as shit. It's a photo I took on the weekend, the day after Infected Mushroom.
Check it out!
IMG_3297-Crop
And in action:
Work PC
And the original image:
IMG_3297
Hmmmm just found out that flickr doesn't allow free users (myself) the ability to show full rez images... so the images that I was linking to above won't be in their full glory (in fact, they'll be smaller than most of your desktop resolutions), until I upgrade to pro. So that sucks. The other images I have uploaded were reduced size anyway, as I couldn't be bothered uploading them at 7MP. At least all photos are stored on the flickr servers at their original uploaded size, so when I upgrade to pro they will accessible at their full rez.
I also just found out that flickr only allows free users to have 3 "sets" (which is how I was organising the photos into groups). So I have to now figure out what the disadvantages are of not storing the photos in sets, and what the best way is to show photos to people.
I knew I should have checked out picasa before I signed up to flickr (and seeing picasa is owned by google, and so is blogger, I have a feeling that it would be even easier to email a photo and have it post to my blog).
So the US$25 per year for the pro account is lookinng like an attractive option for distributing my photos.
Huh. Just figured out that if I upload a full rez photo, flickr will only allow it to be displayed at a max of 1024 pixels on it's largest side but if I resize it to 1280 pixels on it's largest side (as I have been doing), flickr allows the photos to be displayed at 1280 on their lagest size. So the 3rd photo above - despite being much higher rez than my other photos (3072 x 2304)- will be displayed at 1024x768 when you click on it, but the 2nd photo can be displayed at it's native rez of 1280x960 (as can all The Great Escape and Infected Mushroom photos).
Now you can definately call me a nerd...

Listening to: Nothing. My computer with music on it blew up, remember?

No comments: