Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ticketek's EzyTicket

Just bought tickets for the Armin Van Buurin show on the June long weekend (w00t).
Ticketek now offer "EzyTickets," which are basically tickets in PDF form (for printing at home).
I'm blogging about it because I think it's a bloody good idea.
At first I was upset because it meant no ticket stubs to keep, but after mulling on it (and seeing the actual ticket), I'm all for it.
These are the reasons why:

  1. Instant - no waiting for them to arrive (which would be a blessing when you've bought them close to the show date), as well as no worries about them getting lost in the mail (which has happened to me).
  2. Safe - say I accidentally leave my tickets at work, and can't get to work before the show (not the first time), I can easily just open up my email and print of a new batch - no fucking around, no turning the house upside down looking for tickets that are actually 15km away.
  3. Pretty - they are good lookin things, with all the concert promotional pictures up the top of the page, and are designed to be folded to close to normal ticket size. When folded they look just like the traditional ticket, which also adds much needed rigidity for the ticket machines at some venues.
  4. (and the most important reason) They kick scalpers in the nuts, because there is no telling if a ticket is genuine or not. This means that noone in their right mind would buy an EzyTicket off of someone else (if it's one of many tickets printed from the PDF file, only the first ticket presented at the gates will be let in). And I think scalpers need to be stopped at every possible avenue.
However,

...what's wrong with Moshtix's approach where your credit card becomes the ticket? Isn't that much simpler? I suppose so, but as if often the case with events for minors, the tickets are purchased using a credit card owned by someone other than those attending the event (thus the invention of the moshcard... but still...).
And of course, with Moshtix, there is no shiny ticket to keep in your glorious little memento book (much to my chagrin).

The EzyTicket does mean that you're able to sell your ticket, but only to someone that trusts you - and I think untrustwrothy folk need to be punished somehow, so that's a good thing in my opinion. I'll just add here, in favour of the EzyTicket, that the moshtix transfer method has it's faults (which I've been burned by).

But, all of the anti-scalper attributes are moot while the original tickets are still able to be sold for any given event (and they still are).
So I suppose they'll only be truly advantages if at popular scalpable events (eg Splendour or BDO) they only sell the EzyTickets, or they eventually migrate to an EzyTicket only service (which would piss off all of those that don't have a printer).
And, while they do point out the fact that the tickets are easily reproducible on the actual tickets themselves, I think at first some people buying EzyTickets from scalpers will be burned by the multiple copies, so it is up to Ticketek to make widely aware that you really shouldn't buy EzyTickets from anywhere but the Ticketek website.
And that's my $1.50 (75x longer than any normal 2 cent rant).
See you in June!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's bloody fabulous.
I went to buy privately 2 ticks AC\DC
& freaked when this young fella , who was genuine, licence etc, gave me 2 bits friggin paper! I could reproduce that in about 8 seconds probably 100 copies, I've renigged whilst I research bit more, it's not the $$$ I want to see 'tha 'boys'
LeeLee

Her Majesty said...

Leh !

Maru said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.