Tuesday, September 04, 2007

New Job

So it looks like Lilly and I will be packing up and moving to Perth for a job.
I applied for a job with a company called Geoforce a few weeks ago (Mart told me about them), and they are desperate for people, so the fact that I don't have a degree in geophysics doesn't matter. In fact, they have even given Leanne a job.
So that's why we're both moving.
Now. I still have some things to decide.
First of all, it's going to bring a whole new lifestyle. Living on the West Coast means not seeing my friends and family for extended periods of time.
The job works on a two weeks on, one week off roster. The advantage of that is that I have a week off to travel (and visit friends) every two weeks. The disadvantage of it is that I have to figure out where the hell I will stay during that one week off. Do I pay rent for a place I'm only going to live at 1/3rd of the time? But, of course, I don't have to pay for food during those two weeks, so I'm at an advantage there.
But the big decision... it's a pay cut, and it will take me a while to work up to the same pay level I was at during my time at TC.
So is it worth it?
Is the experience worth the sacrifice?
Will the job be worth anything (it isn't strictly in line with my degree) in terms of career? i.e. is it a career path I want to follow?
So I'm going to call some of the jobs I applied for in Qld today, and see what they are willing to offer me. If they offer wages closer to $60k, then I will probably take them.
The $45-50k at Geoforce won't be enough to convince me then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet. stay in a pub every third week (i'm sure you could get a discount if you told them your situation and locked it in for 6 months)