Friday, August 01, 2008

Writing, writing, writing.

I'm now about to enter my third week of Uni.
I enrolled in a postgrad Science Communication course, because of the interest I had in Lilly's Writing Editing & Publishing course (a lot of the courses overlap, and me being a sucker for science, would have been mad to pass up the chance of a science coherency).
I really like the course convenor; she's really enthusiastic about the topic, and gets me enthused. Better than that, she understands her shit.
I'm only doing two courses this semester, which I am very thankful for; 1) a journalism course called Intro to Medical and Science reporting, and the other - a writing course - called Communicating Controversial Science. They both really interest me.
But man, postgrad is scary. Almost everyone in the journalism course has had journalistic experience (either in the field or in their undergrad), and can thus write much, much better than I can. I have a lot of practice to do before I will be at their level (which could mean, my lucky readers, a heap of practice articles/entries appearing on this blog).
In the writing course, almost everyone has had a fair bit more academic practice than myself (read: honours), or has just come from undergrad, and is thus more in the swing than I. The discussion section last week was rather initimidating.
But my ol' teacher, Mr Damian Gore, said once "if it doesn't hurt, you ain learnin'!" So I have to agree with him there, and am excited by the prospect of my future skill set.
Every week there is a heap of readings followed by a writing task. This week it is to write an article for 1) The Australian, and 2) The Courier Mail. They're both only small (200-500 words), but it means I have to start researching a topic. I'm thinking Thorium reactors, and how they are a) better than previous reactors, b) would benefit from being marketed as something other than a nuclear reactor, and c) a viable alternative to the new "green" energy sources. I also like the idea of tackling, on a broader scale, the different solutions for combating climate change.
So that's probably what I will focus on for the remainder of the Journalism course (we have to have a portfolio focusing on the one topic by the end of it).
Now let's just hope this helps me in my career - whatever it may be.

No comments: