Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Back To Uni

Inspired by Lilly's course, and by the prospect of being able to work from home/the road (I'm talkin about the rooaad), yesterday I enrolled in the Master of Communication (Science) at The University of Queensland.
As at the moment I'm unsure if I'm actually going to do Masters, but I was advised to enroll in the Masters program, then just stop when I'm happy with my award - either graduate certificate (4 subjects) or graduate diploma (8 subjects). Masters is then a thesis on top of that (of which I have a choice of 3 weightings). The advantage of the Masters is that it's internationally recognised, which will be good for travelling.
I should note that I'm doing it part-time, too, so the diploma will take 18-24 months, and a part-time thesis will take another 24 months on top of that... so I really have to consider if it's worth it. The Masters can be credited as effectively Honours, however, which means I have the option of a PhD if I later want one, which is pretty cool.
Now let's just hope that guitar course I did at Macquarie didn't screw my GPA so much that they don't accept me. Yikes.
But what will all this get me? I'll be a certified editor, for one (which what gives the possibility of working from home/the road), including science journals (boring) or articles (interesting) but I'll also be given the necessary skills and knowledge to become a writer myself. At the moment I'm thinking professional blogger or, later, popular science writer. And that I'd REALLY like.
So there you go; life takes me on interesting journeys.
--
This message was sent from my mobile.

No comments: